2016 Summer Institute Dates
The Institute will begin on the evening of the 14th of July, and will close on the evening of the 26th of July 2016. Participants should plan to arrive before 4pm (16:00) on the 14th, and leave either late on the 26th, or in the morning of the 27th.
Registration is now closed.
The program will include a variety of lecture, interactive workshops, panel discussions, and supplemental field trips. For specific details and session information, please visit the agenda page.
Broad topic areas will include:
- Rural Policy and Comparative Policy Studies
- Social and Human Capital
- Multiple Ways of Knowing, Local Environmental Governance
- Governance and Sustainability
- Biodiversity in the North
- Food / Water / Energy / Climate Nexus
- Justice in Rural Contexts
- Environmental and Climatic Change
- Energy Security
- Sustainable Development
- Food Security
- Rural Education
- Research Methodologies and Analysis
Field trips will be made to:
- Calypso Farm
- Chena Hot Springs
- University of Alaska Large Animal Research Station (LARS)
- Alaska Cold Climate Housing Research Center (CCHRC)
- World Eskimo Indian Olympics
- And optional excursions on the day off:
- Permafrost Tunnel and Long Term Ecological Research Station
- Chena River canoe paddle
- “Behind-the-Scenes” special tour of the world-renowned UA Museum of the North
- Guided wilderness hike in the boreal forest outside of Fairbanks
More detailed information can be found on the Field Trips page.
Speakers and Panel Participants
For more information about the faculty and guest speakers, please visit the Speakers and Panel Participants page.